Return to Life in Japan section

Emergency Contact Information

What are the emergency phone numbers in Japan?

The following is a list of emergency phone numbers:
Police 110 / Fire 119 / Ambulance 119

If at all possible, in the event of an emergency, have a Japanese friend or neighbor call for you, as the operator may not be able to speak English.
You’ll get more detailed instructions on whom to call at ALC in the event of an emergency during your orientation.


What is the crime rate like in Japan? Is it something I should be concerned about?
I’ve heard that bicycles need to be registered. What is this? Is it necessary?
My bike was stolen. Should I/do I have to contact the police?

The general level of crime in Japan, especially in cities like Nagoya and Okazaki, is very low. If you take the same precautions as you would at home, you shouldn’t have any problems at all. Bicycles are treated as vehicles, and need to be registered. This is usually done by the bicycle shop, who then send the documents to the police. If your bicycle is stolen, contact the police. Bring your registration documents and either passport or Zairyuu card with you.


I heard that there are a lot of earthquakes in Japan. Is this true?

Japan is one of the most earthquake prone countries in the world. It’s important to know what types of precautions and preparations are necessary while living in Japan.

What types of precautions and preparations should I take in the event of an earthquake?

Earthquakes can happen anytime, anywhere. As soon as you arrive, you should start taking the following preparations:

1) Prepare a small bag with a small supply (a day or two) of nonperishable high energy food, some water, photocopy of your passport etc and a quick change of clothing necessities, i.e. socks/underwear. Place this bag in close proximity to your front door.
2) When an earthquake occurs, stay where you are. If services (electricity, gas, water etc) are lost, head into an open area where you are not in danger of anything falling on you.
3) During your housing orientation you will be told where in the area of your accommodation you should go to in the event of an earthquake.

If you are not in your accommodation at the time of an earthquake, always make sure to be aware of where you are in relation to ALC, and proceed there.


What should I do if there is a fire in or around my apartment?

In the event of a fire in your immediate area, have a Japanese friend or neighbor call the Fire Department. If this is not possible, then dial 119 from any phone, and tell the operator “Kaji desu” (pronounced kah ji des). Proceed to give them your address. If you are reporting a fire outside of your immediate neighborhood, and don’t know the address, let any other Japanese person in the area know about the fire.
Fire extinguishers are conspicuously located around all ALC accommodations and building.


What is a typhoon? Is it any different from a hurricane?

Both are tropical cyclones that vary in intensity. The name (either a typhoon or a hurricane) depends only on which ocean it occurs in.

Is a typhoon something that I should be worried about?

All of our accommodations are situated in areas that are usually not adversely affected by typhoons, either by design or location, meaning that flooding and or property damage will not be an issue should one occur.

Are classes canceled when there is a typhoon?

In the event that a typhoon is severe enough to trigger a wind warning in this area, for the safety of our students and staff, classes will be canceled. In the event that classes are canceled, a student representative from your accommodation will be notified by our office, who will then notify you.

Is there anything else that I should know about typhoons?

The best preparation anyone can do for any a typhoon is to always have at one days worth of nonperishable, and bottled water on hand, as leaving your apartment may be dangerous.

Return to Life in Japan section