Located close to Nishi Okazaki station, this temple is believed to have the oldest hall of the Buddhist Shin sect in the Mikawa region, known as the Yanagi-do. It is considered to be a superb example of Kamakura period architecture and is designated as an important national cultural property.
The temple was built in 1258 and contains the tombs of several warriors who were vassals of Tokugawa Ieyasu, as well as the famous scientist Dr. Honda Kotaro.
During the rebellion against samurai rule led by the Ikko sect in the 1560’s, this temple was one of several that decided to ally with Tokugawa Ieyasu. There is a legend that he once sought refuge in the temple when he found himself isolated and outnumbered.