Learn more, see more, do more, pay less. Traveling to Japan for the first time or looking to travel unbeaten paths? Try this affordable and uniquely flexible study/tour experience combining the choice of a range of Japanese classes with adventure tours discovering what Japan is REALLY like. Combine your studies of Japanese with a small group mobile classroom – and see a Japan that most visitors can barely imagine, let alone visit. You can choose the length of the tour component to be 3, 5, 8 or 10 days.
There are ten key reasons to do your discovery tour with ALC.
1. High Quality Teaching Component: Most “study tour” programs are only offer elementary level classes with part-time teachers, usually hired just for the summer. ALC’s Discovery program combines language learning with professional faculty and a range of different proficiency levels all year round in small group classes, as well as individualized instruction via additional private lessons if desired.
2. Flexibility: Start dates are available all year round including Spring and Autumn – the two best seasons for traveling in Japan, which for the study components are “off seasons” so your average classes sizes are going to be very small. You can also choose almost any of our courses as the study component of a customized program, adjust the length of studies, extend on demand, and even customize the tour length to suit your needs. Come to Japan for a holiday, to explore your interests or refresh your skills, or gain university credits, or prepare for a career – the program is tailored to suit your needs, not the other way around.
3. Small class sizes & Small group sizes: In the group class formats, the absolute maximum class size is only 6 students. Private lessons are also available. During the tour the average group size will usually be 7 or less. This is the one program where you will NEVER find yourself following a guide with a little yellow flag or a large group of people whose names you can’t remember.
4. Accommodation: Travel light – you will be able to leave heavy items back in your accommodation in Okazaki. By avoiding expensive hotel stays and exhausting accommodation “hops” – you can enjoy your travels more and save a lot of money.
5. Real: As a quality education provider – our tours are different to most. With ALC you will be using your Japanese, meeting Japanese people, traveling and eating in the same places as ordinary Japanese people. If you want to see THE REAL Japan – it’s time to join a ALC program.
6. Lower expenses: Our program fees are priced as low as possible, include all textbooks, learning materials and taxes. No hidden charges. The study tours include all entry fees and insurance and are about 1/3 cheaper than those offered by commercial operations. Single and shared accommodation is available. In the case of “shared by 2” accommodation (twin room), the average nightly stay is less than half the cost of a youth hostel – but with comfort and modern facilities.
7. Coverage: See the Japan that most tours, most tourists, most foreign residents of Japan NEVER have the opportunity to see. Instead of using the railways and traipsing along the “road most traveled”, you get access to remote areas of great beauty and heritage, many of which have roads too narrow for a bus. We use small 4WD 10 seater vehicles, as only a small group format opens up Japan’s best sites.
8. Variety: Each study tour is different, and during the course of an academic year we cover more than 300 destinations, and a wide range of experiences, from making ceramics with a master potter, to heliskiing. From remote mountain villages, to bustling cities.
9. Expertise: Even Japan’s most visited areas have very little information in foreign languages, and most tours are led by guides reading from a script. One of the advantages of Japan Discovery is that each and every tour is accompanied by ALC staff, knowledgeable and passionate about Japan and their fields of study. With Japan Discovery you can ask detailed questions, get your answers, and understand what you see and experience.
10. DISCOUNTS! Discovery program participants can receive discounts on accommodation, optional weekend trips and other events.
Participants have the opportunity to experience Japan’s traditional past as well as its modern hi-tech present. During your vacation you can experience a quick improvement in your Japanese proficiency. No previous study of Japanese is required for participation.
If you ever have any questions, please feel free to contact us.