Part time work & Employment

If you are studying at ALC with a tourist (tanki-taizai) visa, then you are not allowed to work. It is illegal to work in Japan without an appropriate visa.

Student visas holders are allowed to work (subject to certain conditions) once permission has been obtained in the form of a document from the Immigration bureau. Most long term students in Aichi do seek part time work, partly to support finances, partly for the cultural experience of interacting with native speakers of Japanese outside the classroom. You are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week, but we recommend not working more than about 12 hours per week, as it can have a detrimental effect on your studies.

When seeking work, searching the internet helps, but so does word of mouth. On most Thursdays and Friday nights, the lounge at ALC is converted into a small bar that brings Japanese and foreign residents of the city to the school. It is a good place to ask about life in Japan, job opportunities and processes.

If you have any doubt about visa status, please feel free to contact us.